Emmanuel College, part of the University of Cambridge, was founded in 1584 during the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The original buildings were a Dominican Friary, which her father, Henry VIII, had confiscated after "dissolving" the monasteries (an act of revenge on a Church which would not permit Henry's penchant for "dissolving" wives).
The new school was founded to develop Anglican preachers. The Catholic chapel was stripped and converted into a dining hall. In 1677, a new chapel was built by the illustrious British architect, Sir Christopher Wren. Some of the original Dominican features exist to this day, including a large fish pond (now home to a raft of ducks) and one of the oldest bathing pools in Europe (originally used to keep the friars clean). After 395 years, the all-male legacy of Emmanuel College ended when the first women were admitted in 1979.
Famous alumni include Sir Richard Attenborough and John Harvard, who modeled his American college (Harvard) after Emmanuel College. Many graduates of Emmanuel were active in settling the North American British colonies.
This little copper pin dish was made by Joseph Sankey and Sons (c. 1910) and bears the Emmanuel College crest. It could be used as a caddy for rings, watches, keys and coins or as a clip holder on a well-schooled desk. Please click on the photo above to learn more about it.
Though our Greenwich Village store is now permanently closed, LEO Design is still alive and well! Please visit our on-line store where we continue to sell Handsome Gifts (www.LEOdesignNYC.com).
We also can be found in Pittsburgh's historic "Strip District" at Mahla & Co. Antiques (www.mahlaantiques.com) or in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania at The Antique Center of Strabane (www.antiquecenterofstrabane.com).
Or call to arrange to visit our Pittsburgh showroom (by private appointment only). 917-446-4248