The Tempio della Concordia in Agrigento, Sicily, is the best preserved Doric Order temple in the world (alongside the Parthenon in Athens). It was built around 440-430 BC when the pre-Italian island was an important part of the Greek world. It was later named after the Roman goddess of harmony. It is surrounded by 20 foot tall fluted columns—six along each short side and 13 along each long side—topped, naturally, with Doric capitals. Each column tapers subtly near the top and swells gently in the middle which gives the column a dynamic tension—as though the column were straining to bear the weight of the roof.
The temple was converted to a Christian Basilica (of Saints Peter & Paul) in the Sixth Century which may have saved the building during a time when other pagan temples were being destroyed by Constantine and his sons. During this period, certain alterations were made and the temple was fitted with Christian liturgical objects. In 1785, the cathedral was restored to its original Greek design. It remains an important architectural site to this day.
The bookends shown here, made by Bradley & Hubbard (Meriden, CT) in the 1920's, would grace any home, architectural or law office. Please click on the photo above to learn more about them.
LEO Design's Greenwich Village store is now permanently closed. While we contemplate our next shop location, please visit our on-line store which continues to operate (www.LEOdesignNYC.com).
Follow us on Instagram: "leodesignhandsomegifts"
Follow us on Facebook: "LEO Design - Handsome Gifts"