The Roseville Pottery Company was founded in Roseville, Ohio in 1890 and (initially) produced a limited range of stoneware “utility” goods: flower pots, umbrella stands, cuspidors and the like. Within a few years, enjoying strong sales, Roseville expanded and eventually bought the Clark Stoneware Company in Zanesville, Ohio where they re-located their headquarters.
By 1900, Roseville sought to compete more directly with the “quality” art pottery makers such as Rookwood, Owens and Weller. They introduced the “Rozanne” line—whose name was a contraction of “Roseville” and “Zanesville”—which became the company’s first art pottery offering. The line took-off, setting the template for dozens of future Roseville lines over the next five decades.
Roseville continued operations through both world wars, introducing its final new line in 1953. Alas, rising American production costs—and the post-war shift of ceramics production to places like Japan and Germany—spelled the end for Roseville. In 1954, the company ceased production, selling its plant to the Mosaic Tile Company.
Roseville’s legacy is an impressive one; they probably produced more pieces of art pottery—in more interesting and varied patterns—than any other American competitor. As a result, there remains a strong cohort of collectors seeking the best and rarest pieces.
The pair of white Art Deco pieces, shown above, were made in the 1930’s. Part of a large group known as “Roseville Ivory,” this pair shares the same shape found in the decorated “Russco” line. Please click on the photo above to learn more about it.