The Stangl Pottery, in Flemington, New Jersey, traces its origin to the Hill Pottery company, founded in 1814. Hill Pottery, like many early ceramics manufacturers, made “utility wares”: crocks, water coolers, sewer pipes. Hill Pottery eventually became Fulper Pottery, an “artistic ceramics” manufacturer, and it hired “ceramics engineer” Johann Martin Stangl to develop interesting new forms and glazes—marketed under the “VaseCraft” Arts & Crafts line. As the 1910’s became the Twenties and Thirties—and the Arts & Crafts Movement was replaced by Art Deco—the Fulper company developed the Stangl line, using modern and efficient ceramics production methods. During the Thirties, Stangl was known for its Art Deco two-handled vases, like the handsome example shown above. In later decades, Stangl produced a very successful line of open stock dinnerware, sold in stores around the country and in its popular Flemington factory outlet. The company continued production until 1978, at which time they closed their factory for good.
See new merchandise first! Follow us on Instagram: “leodesignhandsomegifts”