In the year 1832, “Prince Adolph of Ysenburg & Bündingen of Isenburg-Wächtersbach” (whew!) founded a ceramics workshop within his family’s principality. Wächtersbach Keramik (sometimes spelled “Waechtersbach” by English speakers) continues to this day, making a wide range of objects, both decorative and utilitarian. In the late Nineteenth Century, Wächtersbach employed several notable designers including Joseph Maria Olbrich and Peter Behrens—and contributed to the Darmstadt Artist’s Colony (south of Frankfurt). The pieces above, made in the 1960’s or 1970’s, feature a lovely, marble-like mottled glazing of black, white and blue ($125 and $175). Please come into the shop to appreciate them in person or call us for further information.
More newly-received merchandise tomorrow.